Monday, October 4, 2010

Thankfulness in All Things: The Big and The Small**




The last few weeks have made me appreciative of the big things: God, family, friends and health. It has also made me thankful for the small things: lunch with a friend, time to decorate for fall, lighting the pumpkin scented candles, simply for the blessing to just "be".


I was reminded, yet again, of the preciousness of life with some diagnosis of serious illness, surgery, etc.. of those I treasure. The recurring thoughts of our short time on earth, and the preciousness of our loved ones got me to thinking of little things (and how important they are) ...

Having "time out" to relax with a friend, and talking about life, dropping goodies of at a "sick" friends, hoping to show her how loved she is, coffee with a friend, going to watch a dear friends kids in their band, a cooking class with another dear friend made me think: All of these aren't the "little" ones really, they are the BIG things.

Thinking of what touches you? It made me think of what makes me feel loved. Time and I know you'll laugh...but dinner (or lunch) at a friends home. Why? Who knows? I'm guessing it is the intimacy of being at someone's private space. It is the time and thought. When beginning Inspired 31 and trying to prepare a 4 minute speech, my friend had me to her home and fixed me a sandwich and arranged it on her good china, and did it with such love. She kept apologizing for it, however I wonder if she realized how long it had been since someone had me to their home for a "simple sandwich"! I was so touched. It wasn't fancy, just so thoughtful!

It doesn't matter what you do, but that you DO it! Just like it doesn't matter what you have been gifted with, but that you USE it!

I have included some photographs here of some of the "fancier" lunches and dinners that I have been invited to at peoples homes. Yes, of course, I took pictures! It is just my thing. There are also simple things that remind me, it is true: It is the thought that counts!

From Romans 12: Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice Hospitality.

***Pictures are from "Fall", dinners or lunches, where friends put such lovely time and thought into having us/me over :) Thank you A!




 photo signature_zps72c1a2bc.png

0 comments :

Post a Comment